- Leading Sheep – Back to a town near you
- More funding for fencing
- Shearing school in Winton
- Upcoming Leading Sheep events
- Upcoming events
- eBulletins and podcasts
In response to the COVID-19 restrictions, it has been some time since Leading Sheep has delivered a face-to-face event. As restrictions continue to ease, several events are planned or are currently in planning. The Leading Sheep team are eager to get back out of the office and are looking forward to seeing you at our upcoming events.
To view our upcoming events, please refer to the Upcoming Leading Sheep events section below.
If you have an idea or suggestion for an event, please make contact with your local Regional Coordinator. Their contact details are available by clicking here.
- New South Wales is building a fence along parts of the Queensland border, to read more click here.
- There is $5 million available for Queensland producers. This funding is available under Round 5 of Queensland Feral Pest Initiative with applications closing November 11. For more information, click here.
If you are in the process of building a new fence or are considering the benefits of doing so, don’t forget that the Leading Sheep website has tips, tricks and ideas collected from other producers. To view this helpful information, click here.
As a result of local feedback, interest and demand, Susie Brodie, DAF Industry Recover Officer in collaboration with Goolma Station, Leading Sheep, Australian Wool Innovation, Winton Shire Council, Shearing World and Shearing Contractors Association of Australia organised a shearing and wool handling school near Winton. 15 young participants attended the training and while some were already working with local contractors, others are now eager to enter the industry. By the end of the week the students were able to shear a sheep, set up and maintain a hand piece, grind combs and cutters and handle wool on the floor and the table.
This school was the result of several organisations working together with the goal of training and supporting the future of the merino industry, to view photos of the school click here.
Have you had rain and noticed a response? Are you thinking about restocking? Click the following links to view a factsheet and a website which have suggestions and reminders for when you do. It doesn’t matter if you’re running 5 or 5,000 sheep and have been doing it for six months or six generations these resources are a useful four minute read that may be a timely reminder of something.
- 16 October, 8:30am – Excel in Business – Talwood. To register, click here.
- 26 November, 8:30am – Excel in Business – Tambo. To register, click here.
- To be confirmed, 8:30am – Excel in Business – Quilpie. To register your interest contact Hannah Vicary.
- 6 October – Farm finance fundamentals. Webinar by Growcom. Register here.
- 14 October – Paddock walk – Boulia by DAF and Desiree Jackson. For more information contact Leanne Hardwick on 0436 912 349 or email.
- 15 October – Paddock walk – Tambo/Blackall by DAF and Desiree Jackson. For more information and to register contact Leanne Hardwick on 0436 912 349 or email.
- 15 October – Goat Field Day – Cunnamulla by Agforce. For more information contact Trish McKenzie on 0418 485 501 or email.
- 16 October – Paddock walk – Longreach by DAF and Desiree Jackson. For more information and to register contact Jane Tincknell on 0472 877 271 or email.
- 21 October – Ag Advisor Breakfast – St George by ConnectAg. For more information and to register contact Rhonda Toms-Morgan on 0407 678 574 or email.
- 22 October – Ag Advisor Breakfast – Roma by ConnectAg. For more information and to register contact Rhonda Toms-Morgan on 0407 678 574 or email.
- 27 October – Farm safety workshop – Charleville by AgForce. For more information contact Trish McKenzie on 0418 485 501 or email.
- 28 October – Farm safety workshop – Thargomindah by AgForce. For more information contact Trish McKenzie on 0418 485 501 or email.
- 29 October – Farm safety workshop – Cunnamulla by AgForce. For more information contact Trish McKenzie on 0418 485 501 or email.
- 4-6 November – Working dog & advanced livestock handling school – Tambo by Neil McDonald. For more information contact Josh Millerick on 0400 465 838.
- 9-13 November – Novice Sheep and Wool Training – Longreach by RAPAD. For more information contact Liza Cameron on 0422 092 830 or email.
- AuctionsPlus Sheep Results and Catalogue
- AWI Weekly Wool Market Report
- Beyond the Bale
- Centre of Invasive Species Solutions Flyer – September
- Climate Outlook – September – November
- Farm Biosecurity News – August
- MLA Prices and Markets
- ParaBoss Queensland Update – September
- Sheep Producers News