- Shearer and wool handler training
- June 30 is coming
- State Sheep Show in Cunnamulla, May 20-21
- Mecardo update for Qld
- Upcoming Leading Sheep events
- Upcoming events
- eBulletins and podcasts
This year is no different, with three workshops scheduled for Queensland, and another two in northern NSW to service those in our border regions. Training is delivered by Trevor Bacon, Sian Bacon & Karl Goodman and is nationally accredited.
Location and dates per training level are as follows:
- Novice level
- Tenterfield, 20-25 June
- Barcaldine, 27 June – 1 July
- Quilpie, 4-8 July
- Improver level
- Lightning Ridge, 20-25 June
- Barcaldine, 4-8 July
For more information, contact AWI on 1800 SHEARS or Trevor and Sian directly on 0429 506 281. Interested participants for Queensland workshops may also apply directly here. If you know of someone who would benefit from this training, forward this email to them, or tag them in our Facebook post here.
There is no better time to review your position and identify some areas for improvement ready for the new financial year. Here are a few starting points:
- Have you cast a critical eye over your expenses recently? Check out the cost of production calculator from AWI here (scroll down under the Drought Resources heading) or the MLA calculator for sheep, beef and goat producers here.
- Have you considered what your most profitable enterprise mix is? A gross margin analysis may assist you in figuring out which enterprises are making you money, and which need improvement. Check out the NSW DPI website for some examples to get you started here.
- How is your cashflow looking for FY23? Why not get ahead of your bank asking and prepare your budget now? GRDC has some great tips in this fact sheet for cashflow planning here. As for the best template? Well unfortunately that is up to you and your Excel skills – it really need not be complex, and with headings that reflect your financial statements, you can’t go too far wrong. Remember though, notes are key – add a column at the very right for writing notes and you’ll have an incredibly useful document for FY23.
- Do you know how many ewes are in ‘The Mill’ paddock? A livestock reconciliation or livestock schedule should be part of every livestock business, it gives you a clear understanding as to what’s walking around your place and eating your grass, but also what your income may look like next year. QRIDA have a simple Excel-based tool to get you started, available here.
When tackling any of the above, it’s worth remembering the KISS principle. Don’t pull your hair out over it, have a crack and continue to develop your skills over time.
If you would like to fast-track the development of your skills, Bush Agribusiness are running a Business EDGE workshop, June 2-3 in Blackall – details here. DAF Extension officers are also available to support you as well as Rural Financial Counsellors.
More details to come, so keep an eye on the Cunnamulla Show website here.
Make it a truly unique holiday and head further west for the Shearers Shindig at Thargomindah, also May 20-21. Tickets available here.
On Tuesday May 3, Leading Sheep will be delivering a webinar with Robert Herrmann, managing director of agricultural market analysis firm, Mecardo, to provide Queensland’s sheep and wool producers with an update on current wool, lamb and mutton markets and trends.
Questions are encouraged, and if you have any specific topics you wish Robert to cover, please send your suggestions through to Jed via email (Jed.Sommerfield@daf.qld.gov.au) before Friday 29th of April.
Keep an eye on the events page of the Leading Sheep website for more details and to register.
- May 3: Leading Sheep Webinar – Sheep and Wool Market Update with Mecardo
- April 23rd: Dirranbandi Show. More details here.
- April 23rd: Tambo Show.
- April 23rd: Stanthorpe Show.
- April 27th: The importance of trace minerals for ewes at lambing with Colin Trengove (webinar). Part of MLA’s ‘Productivity & Profitability Series’, register for the series here.
- April 29 to 20th: Goondiwindi Show. More details here.
- May 2: St George Show. More details here.
- May 6 to 7th: Blackall Show. More details here.
- May 6 to 7th: Roma Show. More details here.
- May 12 to 14th: Charleville & South West Show. More details here.
- May 13th: Longreach Show. More details here.
- May 20 to 21st: Cunnamulla & State Sheep Show. More details here.
- May 21st: Isisford Show. More details here.
- June 2 to 3rd: Business EDGE, Blackall. Delivered by Bush Agribusiness, more information here.
- June 4th: Winton Show. More details here.
- June 4th: Muttaburra Stock Show. More details here.
- June 6 to 8th: MerinoLink Conference, Wagga Wagga. For more information, visit here.
- June 27 to 1 July: AWI Novice Shearer and Wool Handler Training, Barcaldine. To register phone AWI on 1800 SHEARS or email email@example.com
- July 3 to 8th: AWI Improver Shearer and Wool Handler Training, Barcaldine.
- July 4 to 8th: AWI Novice Shearer and Wool Handler Training, Quilpie.
- The Yarn (AWI Podcast)
- Turf’n’Surf (QDAF Podcast)
- AWI Beyond the Bale magazine
- AuctionsPlus Sheep Results and Catalogue
- AWI Weekly Wool Market Report
- Farm Biosecurity News
- MLA Prices and Markets
- Sheep Producers’ News